Monday, November 9, 2009

11/9/2009

friday night after i was in bed i noticed a rash-like bit of skin around the top part of my left areola. this is the 'real' breast. didn't even think to look at the right side at that time. in fact, i kind of chalked it up to lighting. i remember thinking 'that's weird'. and then was so sleepy i really didn't think anymore about it.

saturday afternoon i was drying off after my shower and i happened to look up into the mirror. both breasts were exposed, and there was clearly a rash-like 'ring' around my left areola, and really not much around the right. well, immediately i'm checking it out.
it is not hot
not itchy
not burning
not cracking
not dry skin
not flaking
and no lumps or bumps below the surface could i feel.

realizing this is probably just an eczema issue, still i kind of scared myself and of course matt wasn't home. i got on the computer to see if any of a couple friends were online, all the while bawling because i've now got this horrible thought in my head, and matt gets in just as i'm starting to type in the 'hello' to my friend.

he does exactly the same thing i did, and asked about all the 'not' stuffs above. he says he's sure it's nothing, that it'll go away in a few days if it's irritated skin, and he points out the wee little bit around the right areola. it's enough at the time to calm me down and realize i've most likely over-reacted. after all, i had worn a snug shirt all day friday, and had actually put it on sat morning for my chores, so maybe it really is as simple as that.

we went to dinner sat night, up on sunday to meet friends for brunch, and while i noticed it was still there sunday night, i put it out of my mind.

but monday morning it's still there. and all the doctors are back in the office. so i emailed my GP and let him know all the 'nots' etc, and he totally understood my concern. without seeing it he says it sounds like an eczema, to get an OTC hydrocortisone type cream/lotion and apply as directed. then if it still is there in a week to definitely see the OB. the thing that keeps nagging at me however is eczema usually itches, or the skin is dry and cracking or flaking, and mine isn't. matt had a good idea - call and make an appt with my OB now, then i can always cancel. i'm thinking what if they have an appt today. at least i go in, she looks at it and laughs and says put this lotion on it for a week! what do i have then? peace of mind!

so it was 11.50 when i called my doc's office. the gal answered the phone and i told her i was a patient of doc otto, was a breast cancer survivor, and that i had found a rash type thing on my other breast. i had to swallow a sob. there i go, getting all worked up about it! she asked me my name and birthdate, then pulled up otto's calendar. well, it was 11.54 and she said otto was due to leave that office at noon, but her NP jennie is there and can see me at 2.40 today. so a huge thumbs up to this gal. i need to find out who she is. i was ok with taking a thurs or fri appt and doing the cream until then, but yes, i'd rather pay for the peace of mind. now if she had said 'there's nothing for 3 weeks', i would've been putting my foot down and letting them know i was coming in and going to sit there in the waiting room until they saw me LOL.

so that's all i know. in just over an hour i'll leave and find out i was right, it was just a weird rash and it'll go away in a few more days. and if it turns out i need to have some more tests done, well, i've been through some pretty tough ones so i doubt they can give me something that floors me. and absolute worse case scenario? i have a mastectomy on the left side. but the silver lining to that is - no more mammos, and i can go back to being a little smaller than i am no and i'll fit into that LBD i really like and haven't been able to wear since my reconstruction!

but i have to admit i'm scared or i'd be lying.

No comments: